Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Edgar Renteria...Hall of Famer?

From Joe Posnanski's predictions of future Hall of Famers:

Edgar Renteria. I have to be honest: I almost never think about Edgar Renteria. So that's probably why I'm stunned that he's 31 years old, he's closing in on 2,000 hits, he's got a couple of gold gloves, he's been the starting shortstop on two World Series teams and all that. There's one Hall of Fame line that I don't think will change: I think if you get 3,000 hits, you will get in. Edgar Renteria has a real shot at 3,000 hits.

He's averaged over 160 hits a year for the past 10 years, which only puts him at 7 years away at that rate. Even if he can't sustain that many hits a year in his late thirties, he may very well have more than seven years left. Color me surprised.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I hope he wears a Red Sox hat on his plaque, since they are the team that's paid the majority of his MLB salary.