Monday, October 09, 2006

Preseason Predictions: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

I'll start with my award predictions:

The Good
NL MVP: Albert Pujols
NL Cy Young: Roy Oswalt
AL Rookie: Justin Verlander

These three could all happen.

The Bad:
AL Cy Young: Rich Harden
NL Manager: Ned Yost

I don't feel too bad about these - Harden got hurt (although that was forseeable), and Yost's Brewers were halfway decent. I thought they'd be closer to the top in a bad division, but it's didn't quite work out.

The Ugly:
AL Manager: Eric Wedge
AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez
AL Rookie: Anthony Reyes

A-Rod of course had a decent season in some ways, but he clearly won't be getting any MVP votes. Wedge managed a very underachieving team for the second year in a row, although that may not stop me from picking them to win the division next year. Reyes never did well at the major league level, although I think he still had a chance to be a good player. The list of my RoY picks who didn't have a great first season but turned out pretty good is a long one (Crede, Ensberg, etc.)

So I could go 3 for 8 - I'll take a .375 average.

No comments: