Thursday, June 08, 2006

If I Were a Blank....

If I were a player who was pretty sure I was one of the ten blanks in Jason Grimsley's statement, I would come out and admit it now.

The biggest key to redemption in the public's eye, is to admit it before you get caught. If you think you're a blank than you also have federal investigators looking into you, and admitting it publicly right off the bat will also mean no urge to lie about it under oath and face other issues.

If I were one of these players I would make the following statement:

"I would like to announce and apologize, because for the past x years I have been using performance enhancing drugs. Major League Baseball is hard, and I was trying to gain an edge. I was wrong to do this, and I most humbly and sincerely apologize. I was supplied with HGH through a facility, that I will tell the proper authorities about if they are interested. I went directly through the facility and while I'm not saying I don't have suspicions about a few other players, I do not have any direct knowledge of which players are using performance enhancers. However, I would encourange them to both admit it, and to stop using them.

"I am sorry that I have hurt the game of baseball and also risked my own personal health. As of today, no illegal performance enhancers, or any other substance on baseball's banned substance list will enter my body. I understand that with baseball's current policies, I am looking at a 50-game suspension. While that is hard to take, I felt this was the right thing to do. I also want to make sure that kids understand that this is the wrong way, and that I've hurt myself, my family, my team, teammates, the fans, and the game of baseball itself. I just want to make things right from here on out. Once again, I'm sorry."

If a player did this before they get caught, and none of the blanks on Jason Grimsley's list have been caught yet, and there is a good chance they will be, this player would get a complete pass from the fans and be praised by the media. If they do not do this, and get revealed as a blank, the reaction won't be so kind.

The most ironic part is, the player wouldn't even have to stop using HGH, as there still isn't a test, but the suspicion would be off them, and onto others.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I don't know if he would get a complete pass, and it's because of the reasons that you state. The blanks are already out there in the public eye, so this will be seen by some (if not most) people as just a pre-emptive strike by someone who knows he's going to be busted eventually anyway. It'll just be the correct thing to do politically.