Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Daisuke vs. Ichiro, In Japanese!

For some reason, NESN just cut to Japanese audio for Ichiro Suzuki's third at bat against Daisuke Matsuzaka. Now, I know I couldn't understand a word of it, and I assume most of the viewers couldn't either (although some might say that's better than having to listen to Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy giggle about some stupid producer or fan in the stands with a sign), so I don't see the point of making the switch.

But there was one positive thing about it: they showed us the names of the three Japanese broadcasters: two guys I've never heard of, and (wait for it...) Shigetoshi Hasegawa! The former Anaheim/Seattle reliever who was drafted by Brian Grillo in the High Rise One Skylounge because he had a long name! I hadn't heard that name in a long time. Apparently, he calls Mariner games in Japanese from Seattle, while two other guys call it while watching a monitor in Japan. Interesting setup. Anyway, Daisuke ended up striking out Ichiro, which was met by some monotoned Japanese phrases that I couldn't understand. Fun.

No comments: