Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's Early, But...

... who's in deeper trouble right now, the Mariners or the Phillies? The Phillies are 3-10, their manager is challenging radio guys to fights in his office, they just moved Brett Myers into the bullpen to make room in the rotation for John freakin' Leiber, and Ryan Howard is going for an MRI on his knee. Is it too late to change my NL East prediction (and my first manager fired, and my manger of the year)?

As for the Mariners, check here, here, and here to see how much losing Felix Hernandez decimates them, especially if it's as serious as it sounds like it could be. It really is a shame, because I thought they'd be a laughingstock with Hernandez - who knows how bad they could be without him?

3 comments:

Warren said...

As a Mets fan, I have to say moving Myers to the bullpen is great move. Hopefully Gordon will get hurt and Myers will stay in the bullpen even after a) Manuel gets fired or b) one of the other starters gets hurt. Since the Phillies aren't really this bad, it's possible that a turnaround will be attributed to this move, so they'll be stuck with it. Here's hoping.

Greg said...

Manuel has to be fired eventually, right? I like to think that I put a lot of thought into my projected standings, but when I was done, and I had to make picks for my award winners, I looked back over the standings to see who the probably candidates were. For NL manager of the year, I figured that if the Phillies won the division, then Manuel would have to get his share of votes, despite the fact that he's not a very good manager. It never occured to me to think "hey, this guy can't manage - there's no way that this team is winning the division."

So now I'm hoping that he gets fired, whoever the new manager is leads the comeback charge, and they win the division anyway, just because picking the wrong division winner looks a lot worse than picking the wrong runner-up for NL manager of the year.

Greg said...

I just checked the Phillies coaching staff, and who else is Manuel's bench coach but Jimy Williams. Now, despite the fact that it'll kill BOTH of my predictions, I'm pulling for Manuel to get canned and replaced by Jimy. That might make my spring... and I've had an eventful spring.