Saturday, October 28, 2006

Congratulations, St. Louis!

I got back from a Halloween party at 1am, somehow avoiding news about the game all night. As soon as I got home, I fired up the TiVo and watched the entire thing. Anytime the World Series can be decided, I'm sorry, I have to watch as soon as humanly possible.

I still have a hard time accepting that an 83-win team just won the freaking World Series, on the arm of Jeff Weaver of all people. And I also get the feeling that the win tonight was very anti-climactic, from the build-up throughout the entire game, to Joe Buck's call of the final out (which, considering that he's a Cardinal fan, was uninspired compared to his calls for the Red Sox and the White Sox). Maybe it was just because I wasn't watching it live, and maybe it's because I'm bitter that the Red Sox had a better record than St. Louis and didn't even register on the AL playoff radar, but this just feels... unimportant. And I can't shake the feeling that the A's or Yankees would have killed this team.

Bah - I'll stop babbling. The Cards were the best team in October, and it showed this week. Now let's fire up the hot stove...

EDIT: I just heard the Cardinals radio call, and that guy didn't sound too excited either. Is it just that nobody can even believe that this could have happened? I'm baffled.

No comments: