Sunday, August 27, 2006

The worst call I've ever seen

I just saw the worst call ever. I mean, the worst call that I've seen in all 28+ years of my life. With Manny on first and Ortiz on second, Mike Lowell singled to left field. Raul Ibanez fielded the ball in the gap and threw to third. Ortiz had already scored, and Manny was on his way to third, but for some reason - probably because he's Manny Ramirez - he didn't slide. Beltre caught the throw from Ibanez and tagged Manny on the helmet, but the ball popped out of his glove. He batted it up in the air with his bare hand, and then caught it in his glove after Manny's foot was on the base.

He should be safe. I mean, come on - he never had possession. It was an obvious call. Whoever the third base ump was screwed up royally.

The second worst call I've ever seen was Terry Francona bringing in Timlin in the bottom of the eighth with a 3-2 lead. Three hits and a sac fly later, it's 4-3 Mariners. I'm watching the game in my hotel in San Francisco - more on Safeco Field later if I have time.

No comments: