Friday, May 05, 2006

Tonight's Red Sox flashback...

Kevin Millar returns to Fenway tonight and, ironically enough, I'll be at this game, too.

I'm a little torn on this one. After 2004, I made it my personal goal to give standing ovations to everyone on that Red Sox championship team the first time I saw them at a ballpark - I took care of most of them at the home opener in 2005, even Derek Lowe and Dave Roberts, who flew in from the west coast on off days. I knocked out Orlando Cabrera when the Angels came to town, Gabe Kapler upon his return from Japan, and Doug Meintkeiwitz at a Mets game in Philly (no sign of Pedro, who was pitching the next night against the Yankees and was probably in New York already). Most of the rest of the team was still in Boston, so Pedro remained the only one on my list.

Then Johnny Damon signed with the Yankees and became public enemy #1 to the irrational majority of Red Sox fans (of which I am sometime a part, but not in this instance). I felt the need to cheer him, even though I already had given him that standing O, pretty much just to spite these idiots. And that's what I did.

Millar left town because he can't play anymore. He didn't want to go, and I kinda feel sorry for him. But I didn't feel sorry for him when he was blocking Olerud and Petagine at the plate last year, or when "Cowboy Up" became a national phenomenon, or when he did those terrible KFC ads. I have a feeling he'll get cheered anyway, so I don't know what to do. I gave him his standing O already, so tonight will be a game time decision (assuming he's even in the lineup, because, well, he can't really play anymore...).

2 comments:

Ross said...

Sully, maybe we should stop talking about how many games we're going to, we might be making Warren feel bad.

Greg said...

Point taken - I'll stop, under two conditions. First, if I get tickets to see Pedro, I'm going to ramble about it. You've been warned. Second, if something ridiculous happens at a game I'm at (no-hitter, triple play, controversial play, walk-off home run, etc.), I'll have to chime in after the fact.

Of course, I'll also definitely chime in after my road trip to Seattle-San Francisco-Oakland in August.